Peace

Peace

An Old Path

Welcome to An Old Path. This is a place where a friend and I can share our experiences . We have set out on a journey, on a path that has been worn well by travel over time . Both my friend and I are practicing Catholics who live in different cities in Southern Ontario. Our goal is to attend mass service together in as many churches that were built in the 19 th century as we can. We will publish what we experience.

Monday, October 11, 2010

Thanksgiving Oct 11, 2010

Happy Thanksgiving to who ever might have stumbled on this out of the way path and be reading this quietly travelled road. Returning to my home parish once again, my dear Father Joseph preached another thought-provoking homily yesterday. Even though Thanksgiving isn't a church inspired holiday, it is a time to give thanks for the many gifts we have been given. We have stewardship over the Earth - stewardship is different than ownership - we don't hold the deed and sometimes I despair at the care we've given to this gift.

But my heart can still catch at the beauty of the clear blue sky and the coloured leaves of a fall day. I was reminded of that many times this week. The days were so beautiful - clear, crisp, fresh - and the colours so vivid and glorious - that it sometimes felt like my heart wasn't big enough to contain the feeling - that the beauty was so piercing it caused a physical catch in my chest. Have you ever felt that way? Has someone or something ever made you feel that way?

Love can make us feel that way. Sometimes it doesn't even have to be the grand life changing moments that create those feelings - sometimes it's the tiny moments. Like this week I was driving my nieces home (eight and 4) and they were quiet in the back seat so I glanced back at them and they were silently sitting holding hands - a moment so sweet it pierced my heart with a physical pain...especially since they had been squabbling earlier in the day!

What moments have you been thankful for? Small, quiet, maybe just known to you and no other or perhaps one special person. Moments that you hug close and pull out every once in awhile to look at and turn over in your mind. They are gifts that have nothing to do with money or possesions. Happy Thanksgiving everyone.
Miss M.

No comments:

Post a Comment