Peace

Peace

An Old Path

Welcome to An Old Path. This is a place where a friend and I can share our experiences . We have set out on a journey, on a path that has been worn well by travel over time . Both my friend and I are practicing Catholics who live in different cities in Southern Ontario. Our goal is to attend mass service together in as many churches that were built in the 19 th century as we can. We will publish what we experience.

Sunday, August 22, 2010

Holy Family Church, New Hamburg August 22, 2010




What is in a name?

Today we attended Holy Family Church located in New Hamburg, a very picturesque small town (population 8739) located on the Nith River and nestled in the Huron valley tract. Dedicated in 1882, it fits our criteria of a 19th century church but is admittably not designed by our mentor Joseph Connolly. Time was against us today and we didn't have the leisure necessary for a Connolly expedition so we set our sights on New Hamburg, an easy distance for us both. While not on our list of Connolly churches, I'm glad we had the chance to attend this church.

Holy Family presents a quiet demeanor - her brickwork not ornate but solidly done and with foundations excavated by hand in 1882, most likely by the original 60 Catholic families of the parish. Today Holy Family is home to 275 Catholic families. Inside there is no marble, no gold embellishment, no mosaic tiles, no ornately carved woodwork or statuary. Her lines are smooth, modest, uncomplicated and serene. The stain glass windows are beautiful, especially the window above the main doors with the name "Holy Family Church" entwined in the panes of glass. Perhaps the one extravagance the original families allowed themselves.

I'm always struck by how each church we have visited has been shaped by it's location and community. Holy Family is part of a rich heritage of community churches which cover South Western Ontario and which played such a vital social and familial role in our early settlement. "Family" was the theme felt in this church and even their monthly newsletter aptly named "News From Your Family" reflects this. People knew and greeted each other when they entered and it's evident even from their newsletter that they have a very active "parish family" through the efforts of the "Catholic Women's League" and the "Holy Family's Men's Club" (the first one I have seen and I wish they had a similar one in my companion's parish because I think he would enjoy it immensely!)

It's true I have tremendous awe and respect for the Connolly churches - something in my soul sings when I am in one of his magnificant masterpieces. But another part of me really likes the feeling in these modest 19th century churches too. Churches built by the hearts and hands of hardworking people for their families and communities. Families come in all descriptions - the ones we are born into, and the ones we create ourselves by seeking out those who speak to our heart. We all seek family.

Holy Family Church. What is in a name?
Miss M.



The Last Shall Be The First



Our Holy Family

Today’s entry is as different to this blog as this morning’s visit was to our journey. Today we visited Our Holy Family Church in New Hamburg. She is a yellow brick church that sits atop a hill in the flood prone Nith Valley. She stands strong on a stone foundation and secures a home for faith for 275 Catholic families. The back of the church has a single and centrally located bell house. Her shake clad steeple stretches upward and is adorned with a simple but effective cross. Said cross can be seen for miles around and would have been a welcome beacon to travellers and faithful alike on a long dusty road entering this picturesque valley. Built in 1883 by local families this building is a testament of faith and hope that people realized settling here. The area is called New Hamburg suggesting German roots however I witnessed Irish, Scottish and Indian parishioners this am all answering their call to god in this warm home like parish.

The interior is freshly painted touting spring greens and warm woods. Natural Oak(refinished) pews shone in the ample light coming in from the windows. It was overcast this am entering this building but the church was still inviting. Upon entering the back doors my tireless companion and I were met by a smiling man that had his right hand outstretched in greeting. Here we met Pat Langford a strapping man who offered us a Sunday Missal and welcomed us into his parish. I always seek out the “Pat’s” of this world and this man proved to me why I hold such a habit. After asking Pat a few questions he told us that it was his wife Judi the church’s organist that we wanted to speak to about emails and such. I admire Pat’s stance on life and did enjoy meeting him. He made us feel welcome and dispatched us to our seats.

The warm woods made me feel at home and the church was vibrant with life. This church has that feel of home and regular parishioners where furthermore the attending congregation were comfortable in their surroundings. From behind me I could hear Scottish female voices and the lilt of which brought me to Cape Breton and my mothers kitchen in my mind. The lilt of a mother’s voice, the security of a father’s voice and hand held, unquestioned faith and hope for the future are all part and parcel of a building such as this. This church has served faithful in this area for 127 years and has endured and prevailed through natural disasters and the ebb and flow of our nation. The many spring floods, the dark curtain of war and the great depression have all darkened her doorway, yet still she stands atop the hill firm in her foundation and place within the community serving all who enter her doors.

The service was led by Monsignor O’Brien, a retired priest who resides in Hamilton and has been sharing the word here at Our Holy Family for the past 3 weeks. O’Brien has a very distinct and likeable approach to the pulpit and I listened to the service quite intently and enjoyed it thoroughly. To my left was a little girl of Indian descent. She was a very precocious toddler who had the biggest dark eyes I have ever seen .We liked her right away, largely due to her endearing smile and angelic coos.

After mass ended my much braver than I companion dragged me into the spotlight of the public eye once again to meet the one and only Judi Langford, the organist of the day and beloved wife of Pat. Judi was very insightful and informative. She listened intently, told us stories and asked if we had or planned to attend various churches in the Nith Valley area. Judi is involved with church’s monthly newsletter and plays the organ. It is enlightening to see that kind of involvement in the church and Judi is genuine in her affairs with the church. My companion has such a wealth of talents; she might very well consider a similar effort with her own home parish.

Upon leaving the town of New Hamburg I stopped and parked my car at the top of the hill edging the Nith Valley. I leaned on the car and photographed the church steeple that stood above the tree line and imagined this road and what view it afforded those before me. It would have been a dirt road with a wooden bridge over the river and traversed by horse traffic and the dust coming off hooves and wagon wheels would have hung in the air. A simpler time indeed.
As I edged back into traffic heading west I could see the church in my rear view mirror and I admired her for a moment before focusing on the drive home and absorbing my experience in New Hamburg on a cool August morning.


Lorne

1 comment:

  1. Hi Lorne and Maureen,
    I'm a parishioner at Holy Family and ran across your post. Thanks for your visit, and for your thoughtful words. We do treasure Pat and Judi, both tireless and generous servants, and our lovely old building. It was actually considerably more ornate, apparently, years ago; but apparently there was rot in the woodwork, and so it had to be removed. Hopefully it was that, and not the depredations of post-Vatican II liturgical "renewal," that brought about the simpler environment you saw.

    ReplyDelete