Peace

Peace

An Old Path

Welcome to An Old Path. This is a place where a friend and I can share our experiences . We have set out on a journey, on a path that has been worn well by travel over time . Both my friend and I are practicing Catholics who live in different cities in Southern Ontario. Our goal is to attend mass service together in as many churches that were built in the 19 th century as we can. We will publish what we experience.

Saturday, July 24, 2010

St Francis of Assisi Church, Kitchener, Ontario, July 24, 2010

This blog is devoted to the discovery and description by two friends of great old 19th century Catholic churches of Southern Ontario. One of the priviledges of creating a blog is being able to break the rules once in awhile - and as we all know there is little more fun in life than sometimes walking outside the box. This weekend we were unable to attend one of the 19th century churches on our list - I had work commitments and my faithful companion had family committments. I wouldn't attend one of our chosen without him so went instead to my own farmiliar childhood parish, St Francis of Assisi Church, located on Blueridge Avenue in beautiful Forest Hill, Kitchener. I hope you will indulge me as I write a wee bit about this church and my experiences there.

St. Francis Church is the antithesis of the 19th century churches we are devoted to investigating. Built in 1960, and celebrating it's 50th anniversary, it is nestled in the heart of quiet suburbia. It's a product of it's era - contemporary angles, open spaces, blonde woods, clean lines. Only the magnificant stained glass window of St. Francis with all his animals located at the front apex of the roof line harkens to the churches of the past. St. Francis is, perhaps, the most beloved saint of all. He was first called to religious life when God tells him "Go Francis and repair my house which you see is falling into ruin." Francis then re-built St. Damians Church and also restored 2 other chapels - St. Peter's and St. Mary's. Even in the 13th century churches fell into disrepair. I think my friend, the builder, would appreciate that about St. Francis.

St. Francis also had a great love of nature and the environment. There is a carved wooden statue of St. Francis with his beloved wolf at the entrance to the church that is my favourite. Francis pleaded with people of Gubbio to feed the fierce wolf that had ravished their flocks. Birds flocked around Francis and nightingales sang with him. My church friend also understands love for animals, especially dogs, and called one in particular friend and family. Blessed is he who protects the birds.

As far as architectural features goes, even I must admit this church is sadly lacking by any historical standards. It's greatest claims may be that it is open and large and bright inside. But the choir voices are always raised in great rejoicing and I always feel happy inside her sturdy walls. I remember sitting in this church with all 8 of my family members where we stretched the entire pew length. Now it is usually just me who attends except on those rare occasions when I am accompanied by my friend. All this made me think what makes a church, God's tent. It's really the people that make the church - yes, the people whose mind and hands have created the church but also the people attending, their history and love of place. Sometimes we can visit palaces, but their is no place like the comforts of home no matter how humble it may be.

Next week we hope to continue our journey discovering 19th century churches. But like all great expeditions, there is also the joy of returning home, from whence we came.
Miss M.

1 comment:

  1. Ah there is no place like home. I am quite impressed about you writing of your own church. It has been home and if one thinks about it, the basis of your belief system for years. Your vision of God and all his work comes primarily from this building. You are a much finer writer than your companion and should continue to be the first entry. Lorne

    ReplyDelete